Written by Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Collection of blood anywhere in the vulvar region is called vulvar hematoma. Although vulvar haematomas can occur after an injury to the vulva due to any cause, it is commonly seen after the vaginal delivery of a baby.
A Vulvar hematoma can occur either spontaneously or after improper repair of an episiotomy wound. Blood from the rupture of the deep veins of this region collects in a closed space with no opening for it to drain out. The collected blood causes the area to swell with severe pain.
Vulvar hematomas are more common with instrumental deliveries like Forceps deliveries or vaccum aspirations - forceps deliveries being more risky.
An episiotomy decreases the risks of a vulvar hematoma by increasing the size of the opening of the vagina.
But hematomas can also occur after an episiotomy has been done if the blood vessels have not been adequately ligated during the repair.
Symptoms of Vulval Hematoma
- A steadily increasing swelling to one side of the vagina.
- The swelling is tense and tender to the touch.
- The collected blood may cause the swelling to be purplish or blackish in color.
- The woman complains of severe pain, more so on sitting down. The pain is unrelieved with painkillers.
- There may be difficulty in passing urine if the swelling presses on the urethra.
- Rectal pressure can occur.
- The bleeding can be severe enough to cause the patient to go into hemorrhagic shock.
Do you have an Obgyn question? Something you are concerned about? Consult Dr. Mazumdar - Ask a question and get a reply within 24 hours.
Treatment / Management of Vulval Hematoma
The aim of treatment is to ligate the bleeding blood vessels as early as possible and support the patient with IV drips and medicines so that she does not go into shock.
- Morning Sickness in Pregnancy.
- Different Birth Control Methods - pills, condoms, rhythm method etc..
- Vaginal Discharge with Itching .
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease - Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment.
Do you have a gynecological or obstetrical problem? Would you like to discuss it in private? Consult our online gynecologist Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD (O&G), at any time you want and get your reply within 24 hours.We charge a nominal fee of USD 20 ($20) per question through Paypal.com.
The procedure of asking a question is quite simple. Clicking on the link below takes you to the Paypal website where the payment is made. After the payment goes through, you will be directed back to this website where you can ask your question. And rest assured, you will get your answer within 24 hours. And usually, even sooner.